Could you use a better night’s sleep?
Do you often have bad dreams or nightmares?
Would you like to ward off negative energy from your home or bedroom?
If so, using a dream catcher in your home can help! Not only are dream catchers good feng shui, but they also have a long history of filtering negative energy while promoting positive energy and good dreams!
What is a Dream Catcher?
Dream catchers were first created by Native Americans as protective charms for infants.
They were traditionally hung over cribs or beds to protect infants from harm.
They were made using willow hoops, sinew thread, and usually feathers and other sacred symbols.
The threads were usually woven to resemble a spider’s web, which was meant to catch anything that would bring harm to the child.
As dream catchers were adopted by other Native American and Indigenous tribes across the content, they added their own charms and sacred symbols to them.
Dream catchers now are used by people from all cultures and backgrounds as a symbol of good luck and protection.
In feng shui, dream catchers represent good luck, happiness, and prosperity.
They filter and cleanse negative energy, catching it so that it can’t circulate.
Keeping a dream catcher in your bedroom can help decrease insomnia and ward off bad dreams.
Keeping a dream catcher in your home’s knowledge and spirituality area, or your meditation room, can help with spiritual wisdom and insight for everyone in your home.
Dream catchers help create a peaceful environment that increases well-being and positivity for everyone in your home.
The Benefits of a Feng Shui Dream Catcher
- Promotes positive energy in your home and bedroom
- Attracts good luck and happiness
- Wards off negative energy, including bad dreams and nightmares
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Creates a calm and relaxing bedroom
- Can reduce insomnia and other sleep disorders
Feng Shui Dream Catcher Meanings
Everything in your home has meaning in feng shui, which means the materials that make up your dream catcher also have meaning.
Materials like wood, string, leather, and feathers activate the earth element.
The earth element is responsible for grounding and stability, as well as creating a strong foundation in life.
Dream catchers with earth materials are excellent in the bedroom or in your home’s health area to cleanse negative energy and increase health and well-being.
Crystals can activate the earth element or the metal element, depending on the type of crystal.
Of course, crystals have their own meanings and vibrations, so you can choose dream catchers with different types of crystals to help you activate different intentions.
Dream catchers with rose quartz, for example, can decrease stress and also attract love and romance. Dream catchers made with amethyst are excellent for dispelling negative energy and decreasing insomnia.
And different types of feathers also carry different meanings.
You can choose feathers of various colors to activate that color’s energy or activate one of the feng shui elements.
Or you can choose feathers that come from specific birds, like eagles or peacocks, to activate that meaning and energy in your home.
The color of the dream catcher also has meaning in Feng Shui. Each color is associated with a specific energy, and it is important to choose a color that aligns with the desired energy flow in the room.
White is the most common color for dream catchers and is believed to promote purity and clarity.
Red: passion, love, romance, fire, activation, action, strength
Orange: enthusiasm, encouragement, youth, spontaneity, warmth
Yellow: happiness, optimism, positive energy, intellect, perspective, confidence
Green: prosperity, growth, good fortune, luck, generosity, health, harmony
Purple: royalty, luxury, spiritual growth, wisdom, enlightenment
Blue: security, loyalty, “true blue,” responsibility, trust, peace, honesty
Pink: compassion, love, romance, nurturing, intuition, feminine energy, playfulness
Black: power, elegance, sophistication, strength, protection
Brown: stability, grounding, protection, reliability, dependability
Gold: luxury, wealth, success, achievement, accomplishment
When choosing the color for a dream catcher, it is important to consider the desired energy flow in the room and choose a color that aligns with that energy.
For more information about color meanings, see this post: feng shui color meanings: using color energy in your home
Feng Shui Rules for Hanging a Dream Catcher
Once you have chosen the perfect spot for your feng shui dream catcher, it’s time to hang it up. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Step 1: Choose a location that is meaningful to you. This could be above your bed, near a window, or in a place where you often meditate or practice yoga.
- Step 2: Determine the height at which you want to hang the dream catcher. It should be at a height that is comfortable for you to reach and where it won’t get in the way.
- Step 3: Use a hook or nail to hang the dream catcher. Make sure it is securely fastened to the wall or ceiling, especially if you’re hanging it above a bed.
- Step 4: If desired, you can add additional decorations or crystals to the dream catcher to enhance its energy and symbolism.
If hanging your dream catcher above your bed, make sure it’s flat against the wall and not hanging over you while you sleep.
If hanging your dream catcher from the ceiling, it’s important to place it in an area where you won’t walk under it.
How to Use a Dream Catcher to Improve Your Sleep
If you’re having trouble sleeping, a dream catcher may be just what you need to help you get a good night’s rest. Here are some tips on how to use a dream catcher to improve your sleep:
- Hang your dream catcher on the wall above your bed or somewhere near where you sleep. This will help to catch any negative energy or bad dreams that may be affecting your sleep. (Do not hang it from the ceiling directly over the bed because that can disrupt your sleep and have the opposite effect!)
- Make sure your dream catcher is properly constructed with a sturdy hoop and a web of string or yarn. A well-made dream catcher will be more effective at catching bad dreams.
- Use your dream catcher as a symbol of positive energy and protection. Before going to bed, take a moment to focus on the dream catcher and visualize it catching any negative energy or bad dreams that may be keeping you awake.
- If you’re hanging a dream catcher in your child’s room to help ward off bad dreams, make sure you tell your child the history behind dream catchers. That way they will know how a dream catcher works and it will be more likely to work for them!
Remember that a dream catcher is not a magic solution to sleep problems, but it can be a helpful tool for promoting relaxation and positive energy in your sleeping environment.
By using your dream catcher along with other feng shui tips for insomnia and a restful bedroom, you can not only improve your sleep but also increase your overall health and well-being.
Check out this post for more information: give your bedroom a makeover with these DIY feng shui bedroom tips!
Feng Shui Dream Catcher Placement
The bedroom is the most common place to hang a dream catcher.
According to Feng Shui, it should be hung on the wall above the bed, ideally in the center of the headboard.
This ensures that the dream catcher is in the best position to filter out bad dreams and allow good ones to come through.
Another option is to hang the dream catcher on the wall opposite the bed, facing the bed.
This placement is believed to provide a sense of protection and security while sleeping.
Do not hang it from the ceiling directly over the bed because that can disrupt sleep and cause insomnia!
If you want to hang a dream catcher in your living room, place it in a window facing outwards.
This protects your home from negative energy and allows positive energy to flow into the room.
Alternatively, you can hang it on a wall facing the entrance to the room to provide protection and positive energy to everyone who lives in your home.
If you want to hang a dream catcher in your office, place it on the wall opposite your desk or hang it in a window, facing outward.
This will ward off negative energy and increase positive energy flow in your office. It can also increase good luck and good fortune in your work.
If you want to hang a dream catcher in your child’s room, hang it on the wall above their bed.
This placement helps filter out bad dreams and allow good ones to come through, promoting peaceful and restful sleep.
Alternatively, you can hang it on a wall facing the entrance to the room to provide protection and positive energy.
It is important to note that the dream catcher should be hung out of reach of children to prevent accidents.
Also, don’t hang the dream catcher from the ceiling directly over the bed. This can disrupt sleep and cause insomnia.
Knowledge and Wisdom Area or Meditation Room
Hanging a dream catcher in the knowledge and wisdom area of your home, or your home’s meditation area, will help increase wisdom and insight. It can also help everyone in your home find spiritual connection and guidance.
Hanging a dream catcher in your home’s health area can increase positive energy and well-being for everyone in your home. Dream catchers made of natural materials can also activate the earth element, which is the element of grounding and stability. It also creates a strong foundation for everything good in your life.
As you can see, there are many different ways to use a dream catcher in your home. Make sure that you hang your dream catcher with intention, and your home will be filled with peace and happiness!
Now that you know how to use a feng shui dream catcher, you might also want to know:
- How to Feng Shui A Kid’s Bedroom (Layout, Colors, & More!)
- The Best Crystals For The Bedroom [According to Feng Shui]
- Feng Shui Plants in Bedroom: 8 Do’s and Don’ts for Good Feng Shui