Need to remove negative energy and vibrations from a space but burning sage or palo santo sticks is impractical? You can use a DIY sage spray instead!
How Sage Smudging Spray Works
White sage, palo santo, and incense have been used for centuries to cleanse negative energy.
Normally when you smudge a space, you light a sage wand, palo santo, or incense stick and use the sacred smoke to go around the whole room.
The smoke fills the air, and as it dissipates, it takes all of the negative and lower vibrations with it.
You can use sacred smoke to smudge almost anything – your home, your office, your car, your crystals, objects, and even yourself!
But sometimes, using smoke to cleanse a space isn’t practical, which is where a DIY sage spray can be used instead!
Instead of filling your room with smoke, you spray the smudge spray.
The mist and essential oils fill the room, removing negative energy as it dissipates.
Sage spray works just as well as smudging with smoke, but it’s easier, faster, and not as smelly.
It also won’t set off any smoke alarms.😉
When to Use Sage Spray for Cleansing
You can use sage spray for cleansing negative energy in the same way you would use sacred smoke.
The best times to use it are:
- When moving into a new home, apartment, or office.
- To remove predecessor energy from previously owned items.
- After arguments.
- When someone moves out of your home.
- When starting a new endeavor, project, or job.
- When you feel extremely stuck or like something is holding you back.
- When you’ve had a lot of different people in your home.
- When things keep breaking or bad things keep happening to you.
- To cleanse and activate your vision board.
- To remove negative energy from a space.
- To cleanse your aura.
- When you need a fresh start.
- When cleaning your home.
- At the end of a year or the beginning of a new one.
- During a full moon or new moon.
- To cleanse new crystals.
- To reprogram your crystals.
- When you place a new feng shui cure in your home.
- When you feng shui your front door.
- Any other time you feel like your space needs a refresh.
Of course, you can purchase a smudging spray, but if you need to cleanse your space ASAP, it’s easy and fast to create your own DIY sage spray.
Here’s how to do it!
DIY Sage Spray Recipe
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- 15 drops of sage essential oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- Spray Bottle
- 15 drops of citrus oil (orange or lemon is best!)
- 15 drops of lavender or eucalyptus oil
- Black tourmaline, clear quartz, and/or smoky quartz crystals
Add the witch hazel, sage oil, essential oils, and/or crystals to your spray bottle.
Fill the rest of the bottle with water.
Gently shake to combine.
Your sage spray is ready to use!
▶ Sea salt has a long history of removing negative energy.
You can use salt bowls or even burn salt to remove negative energy!
Using a pinch of sea salt in your sage spray gives it extra cleansing power.
(See this post for more info: how to cleanse negative energy with sea salt)
▶ Citrus oils, lavender oil, and eucalyptus oils are also often used to cleanse negative energy.
Lemons and oranges have special meaning in feng shui for attracting abundance and positive energy!
Lavender and eucalyptus are often included in smudge wands as well.
Plus they smell great and the scent is a powerful positive energy attractor!
(See this post for more info: how to use lemons in feng shui!)
▶ Black tourmaline and smoky quartz cleanse negative energy and are also often used as protection stones.
▶ Clear quartz is an energy amplifier and clarifier.
It can also be programmed to hold any intention.
Program your clear quartz to hold your cleansing statement and it will enhance the energy of your smudging spray.
(See this post for more information: 14 Powerful Crystals for Grounding and Protecting Your Energy)
How to Use Sage Spray for Cleansing
Set your intention. You can use a smudging prayer or incantation, or you can just use a short intention statement.
A good intention statement to use is:
I command any negative energy or vibration to leave.
Only positive energy is allowed to be here.
Make sure that you are grounded and centered when stating your intention.
If you are cleansing your whole home you can repeat the intention statement as you move from room to room.
Spray the smudging spray throughout the room.
Make sure to get any area where stuck energy likes to hide, such as corners and under furniture.
It is done!
If you need a deeper energy cleanse of your space, you can give it a thorough cleaning first.
This stirs up the stagnant Chi and makes sure everything is in motion so the cleansing spray can do its magic.
You can also open up a few windows to allow the negative Chi to escape and fresh Chi to enter!
How to Make Sage Spray with Fresh or Dried Sage
If you don’t have essential oils, you can make your own sage infusion.
This involves using fresh sage or dried sage and creating a tea that you use instead of essential oils.
This infuses the water with the properties of the sage leaves.
Use the sage tea in place of water in your DIY sage spray.
Ingredients for a sage infusion:
- Fresh or dried sage
- 8 ounces of boiling water
How to create a sage infusion:
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Place a few dried sage leaves from a sage wand (or a few fresh sage leaves) in a cup.
- Pour the boiling water over the leaves and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the leave and allow the water to cool.
- Place in a spray bottle with your other ingredients! Use the sage tea infusion in the place of water and sage essential oil.
Sage Smudge Spray Q & A
Does sage smudge spray work as well as smoke cleansing?
Yes! Sage cleansing smudge spray works just as well as smoke clearing.
Your intention is the most powerful piece of energy cleansing.
In fact, you don’t have to use a spray or smoke at all!
The reason sage spray or smoke work so well is because there is a lot of power in the cleansing ritual.
You can come up with your own cleansing ritual if you’d like, using sound or even moving the energy in your home with a feather or fan.
See this post for more information: How to smudge your home and remove negative energy.
How long does sage spray last?
If you created an essential oil spray, the spray will last for at least 6 months.
When storing your spray, keep it away from heat or direct sunlight to preserve the shelf life.
Because the sage spray is so easy to create, you can always just make a new spray every time you need it!
If you created the smudge spray with fresh or dried sage tea, it will last for a couple of days.
Keep it in the refrigerator for a longer shelf life, or throw it out and remake it each time you need it.
Other Ways to Use Your DIY Sage Spray
For a quick energetic cleanse or to reset an intention, just spray your sage smudging spray whenever you need a pick-me-up!
I like to use smudging spray right before journaling, meditating, or even right before I sit down to work for the day.
This helps me create a ritual that resets and focuses my energy.
You can also spray your smudge spray right before doing yoga or when you’re about to work with your crystals!
Incorporating your smudge spray into your daily life is a powerful way to keep your intentions and energetic body clean and clear.
Come up with your own way to use it – the only limit is your imagination!
Now that you know how to make a smudge spray, you might also want to know:
- How to Cleanse Crystals (+ 6 Signs Your Crystals NEED A Refresh!)
- The Best Crystals For The Bedroom [According to Feng Shui]
- how to use feng shui to attract what you really want